At-Home Teledentistry Companies
Teledentistry companies or at-home teeth straightening cater to patients that may fear to visit the dentist offices or have busy schedules. Popular at-home straightening companies include SmileDirectClub, Candid, Byte, Smilelove, SnapCorrect, Easysmile, and ClearCorrect.
Patients that choose teledentistry to provide their teeth straightening treatment receive an at-home kit and instructions on how to take their own teeth molds then mail it to the teledentistry company.
Once the company receives the mold a dentist professional determines if the person is an ideal candidate and creates a clear aligner treatment that gets mailed to the patient’s house.
- Custom made aligners
- Less expensive than Invisalign
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Hardly any food restrictions
- Improved self-confidence
- No in-person orthodontic care
- No direct one-on-one attention during an emergency
The Difference Between Your Local Orthodontist and Teledentistry
As a patient of a local orthodontist that monitors and offers Invisalign treatment, you are ensured overall oral health care. Gum infections, bacteria buildup, tartar buildup, and discomfort are all addressed and cared for immediately and in-person.
At-home straightening patients are often assigned a remote dentist or dental care professional that provides advice and often recommends to visit a local emergency oral health care facility during an emergency. Otherwise, the patient is responsible for their entire treatment from taking their own molds to ordering their retainers after treatment has been completed.
Major Law Suits Filed Against At-Home Teledentistry Companies
Lawsuits against the teledentistry industry have been building over the years. The lawsuits range from civil suits from patients that had a bad experience to the American Dental Association filing lawsuits against teledentistry for not adhering to prescription laws. Here are a few ongoing lawsuits.
- For several years the American Association of Orthodontists has been trying to encourage states throughout the country to restrict teledentistry services. In April 2017, the ADA filed complaints alleging that teledentistry was breaking laws governing the practice of dentistry in 36 states.
- The New Jersey Dental Association lodged complaints against the teledentistry industry by filing a civil complaint in the Superior Court of New Jersey. The complaint alleged that the teledentistry industry “engages in the unlawful practice of dentistry in this state.”
- In July 2019, The American Dental Association filed a complaint with the FTC and FDA against the teledentistry industry by sending a complaint letter to the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection regarding the teledentistry industries marketing and sales tactics of plastic teeth aligners.
In the long run, many patients are realizing that although teledentistry options are convenient, some patients are experiencing serious issues that can’t be detected with the at-home teeth mold kit. Many patients end up at their local orthodontist office begging for help. Many patients have mentioned that paying a few extra dollars to get in-person Invisalign treatment is worth it to have one-on-one attention and monitoring of the process.
Schedule Your Consultation
Are you ready to start your Invisalign treatment? Contact us today for your no-obligation an in-office consultation.