The SmileDirectClub is a leading at-home teeth straightening teledentistry company that was founded in 2014. It produces 3D-printed clear aligners and is known as a major competitor for clear aligner companies like Invisalign.
Are you having trouble deciding between Invisalign clear aligners or SmileDirectClub at-home teeth straightening? People in Monroe, NY and Orange County that are interested in receiving teeth straightening treatments using clear aligners often feel confused about the difference between Invisalign and SmileDirectClub.
The following information below will help answer some of your questions and help you learn the difference between Invisalign and SmileDirectClub.
Your journey with SmileDirectClub begins with receiving an at-home kit or booking a 3D image in a Smile Shop located near you. Your mold will be taken at the shop or you can conduct the teeth mold process in the privacy of your own home.
Once the Smile Direct Club receives your teeth mold a licensed orthodontist or dentist reviews your smile plan remotely. Your aligners arrive in the mail with instructions to follow and when you complete your plan you have the option to order retainers to help maintain your smile.
The main difference between the Smile Direct Club and Invisalign is access to an in-person orthodontist. While a remote orthodontist is licensed and sounds like a great option for those who fear orthodontist offices, it also changes the experience compared to Invisalign where you have access to a real live orthodontist that goes on the teeth straightening treatment with you in-person and every step of the way.
- Removable aligners – The clear aligners are comfortable to remove on a daily basis when consuming food and drinks.
- The average treatment plan is only six months – The time frame for the treatment process is based on the needs of the individual patient. However, most patients only require a six months plan.
- No attachments necessary – Standard braces often come with uncomfortable brackets, rubber bands, and metal wires. Clear aligners do not need any attachments that cause discomfort.
- Wearable while playing sports – Teen and adult patients will be happy to learn that clear aligner can be easily worn while practicing and playing sports.
SMILE DIRECT CLUB CONS
- Delayed shipment process – Patience wait at least four to five weeks for their aligners to be shipped and received at their front door.
- Unforeseen pain and discomfort – Since the original molds are taken at home by the patient, an orthodontist is not able to pinpoint any severe issues before treatment begins. The oversight of serious problems not detected during the molding process can cause pain and discomfort during treatment.
- Removal before eating – The easy removal of clear aligners is often a benefit, but some patients have found it quite embarrassing when removing aligners in public.
- Difficulty speaking – The clear aligners are precisely molded to cover your teeth correctly. However, during the beginning of treatment, some patients have found it difficult to speak correctly with the added layer of the clear aligner covering their teeth.
Invisalign treatment involves a visit to your orthodontist’s office. During your appointment, the orthodontist observes any issues that can be solved with the use of Invisalign teeth straightening treatment. Surprisingly, many patients are unaware of serious issues hiding in their mouths. An orthodontist will be able to point these issues out, correct them and prepare you for Invisalign treatment.
Once you are prepared to safely receive Invisalign treatment the orthodontist takes an impression of your teeth and creates a mold that is later used to create your custom made Invisalign aligners. These clear and durable aligners are used to shift and move your teeth into perfect alignment gradually.
INVISALIGN PROS AND BENEFITS
- Minimal maintenance – Invisalign aligners are durable and easy to use. Generally, patients are advised to use one set of Invisalign aligners for two weeks at a time. During the two weeks, there is minimal maintenance required to care for the aligners. Cleaning them with water on a daily basis is recommended.
- Self-confidence – One of the most common complaints about standard metal braces is the lack of self-confidence during treatment. Invisalign aligners are clear which means onlookers won’t notice you are straightening your teeth.
- Comfort – As mentioned previously, standard metal braces, brackets and wires are uncomfortable for almost all patients receiving treatment. However, Invisalign teeth straightening treatment is smooth comfortable and almost forgettable during use.
- Removable – Orthodontists recommend removing Invisalign aligners before eating or consuming food and drinks. The easy to remove aligners can be placed in their case discreetly while the user enjoys a meal.
- Twenty-two-hour use per day – Orthodontists recommend Invisalign clear aligners are worn for at least twenty two hours per day. The only time patients should remove their aligners is to eat or drink.
- More expensive than standard metal braces – Invisalign aligners are highly affordable for almost all budgets, but the cost for treatment is slightly higher than conventional metal braces.
- Tooth discomfort – Invisalign aligners are responsible for gradually moving and turning misaligned teeth into place. This gradual process can cause discomfort and pain at times.
- Inconvenience in public – Patients that go to restaurants often feel embarrassed to remove their Invisalign aligners in public. However, most patients excuse themselves and go to the restroom to remove their aligners and place them in their designated safety case.